Consumata Unveiled
This morning the call to go to Confession came through, mid-week. I didn't get to one big aspect of concern: that I'm not doing enough for God. However, other faults came out, such as my diddle-dallying in distractions. A good spouted forth, however. I commented that I am to "look into the Sacred Heart" and that I complained about the word "look" until I realized just how vast is that little, common-sounding, over-worked word.
The confessor commented that looking into the Sacred Heart is on-going, and that it is like peeling an onion, layer by layer to see truth in ourselves. The Sacred Heart keeps on; it builds as one discovers the layers. He told me the Greek word for "truth", and I discarded the information, tempting as it was to be able to whip out such a word in erudite impressiveness. Nah, the Litany of Humility is becoming mine to live.... "From the desire of being erudite and impressive, deliver me, Jesus."
[This morning, day after the above conversation, I asked the priest the name again, and he spelled it in Greek letters, using Greek pronunciation. I didn't understand the way he pronounced iota. Anyway, I'll look it up in my Greek dictionary if I find it important to do so. I guess I am curious about the word, but I'll spell it in English as most of us do not know Greek.]
I did store and contemplate the meaning of the Greek word for "truth", however. It is useful; the meaning is "unveiled." Truly, looking into the Sacred Heart requires an unveiling. The observer, the looker, must be unveiled so as to not have screened vision in the seeing. The Sacred Heart is, as always, unveiled for any who desire or dare take a peep, or enter for the duration, the duration of eternity. No point in stopping by for a visit. The Sacred Heart is too sacred for temporary peepers, although Jesus allows anyone for any reason or length of stay.
I think of a bride being veiled as she walks the aisle. And then she is unveiled for the vows and the ring and the kiss. Looking into the Sacred Heart is something like this unveiling. A vow to keep looking, maintain truth in discovery, take up residence--and to offer some token of intention and commitment would help in knowing the Sacred Heart. It reminds me, too, of St. Pio's praying for the Kiss of the Divine Mouth.
I prayed for this Kiss, and I do believe it is nigh. But the requisite components must be offered. Take off the veil. Trust in the mystery of whatever discoveries. Make vows of eternal love and commitment--what are those wedding vows? Exchange rings or some similar sign (and with the Sacred Heart this sign could very well be intangible except in blind faith, as the realm of the Sacred Heart defies exteriority and materials but could, all the same include these if He wants!). Kiss. Live with each other forever; that is, live within the Sacred Heart and get to know Him for now and forever.
The priest pointed out (and I had just read it in this morning's Office of Readings, Liturgy of the Hours) that Scripture reminds us that we see God and know Him through the Word. We are to be perfect as He is perfect, and we know Jesus as Word. A good look-see of Him is available in the Gospels; and all His type can be seen and examined in the Old Testament "types" of His coming Incarnation.
Prayer is the communication mode. Is prayer the kiss? An endless, intimate, life-giving, soul-sustaining, love purifying Kiss of the Divine Mouth? The consumation means unveiled? Consumata!
The confessor commented that looking into the Sacred Heart is on-going, and that it is like peeling an onion, layer by layer to see truth in ourselves. The Sacred Heart keeps on; it builds as one discovers the layers. He told me the Greek word for "truth", and I discarded the information, tempting as it was to be able to whip out such a word in erudite impressiveness. Nah, the Litany of Humility is becoming mine to live.... "From the desire of being erudite and impressive, deliver me, Jesus."
[This morning, day after the above conversation, I asked the priest the name again, and he spelled it in Greek letters, using Greek pronunciation. I didn't understand the way he pronounced iota. Anyway, I'll look it up in my Greek dictionary if I find it important to do so. I guess I am curious about the word, but I'll spell it in English as most of us do not know Greek.]
I did store and contemplate the meaning of the Greek word for "truth", however. It is useful; the meaning is "unveiled." Truly, looking into the Sacred Heart requires an unveiling. The observer, the looker, must be unveiled so as to not have screened vision in the seeing. The Sacred Heart is, as always, unveiled for any who desire or dare take a peep, or enter for the duration, the duration of eternity. No point in stopping by for a visit. The Sacred Heart is too sacred for temporary peepers, although Jesus allows anyone for any reason or length of stay.
I think of a bride being veiled as she walks the aisle. And then she is unveiled for the vows and the ring and the kiss. Looking into the Sacred Heart is something like this unveiling. A vow to keep looking, maintain truth in discovery, take up residence--and to offer some token of intention and commitment would help in knowing the Sacred Heart. It reminds me, too, of St. Pio's praying for the Kiss of the Divine Mouth.
I prayed for this Kiss, and I do believe it is nigh. But the requisite components must be offered. Take off the veil. Trust in the mystery of whatever discoveries. Make vows of eternal love and commitment--what are those wedding vows? Exchange rings or some similar sign (and with the Sacred Heart this sign could very well be intangible except in blind faith, as the realm of the Sacred Heart defies exteriority and materials but could, all the same include these if He wants!). Kiss. Live with each other forever; that is, live within the Sacred Heart and get to know Him for now and forever.
The priest pointed out (and I had just read it in this morning's Office of Readings, Liturgy of the Hours) that Scripture reminds us that we see God and know Him through the Word. We are to be perfect as He is perfect, and we know Jesus as Word. A good look-see of Him is available in the Gospels; and all His type can be seen and examined in the Old Testament "types" of His coming Incarnation.
Prayer is the communication mode. Is prayer the kiss? An endless, intimate, life-giving, soul-sustaining, love purifying Kiss of the Divine Mouth? The consumation means unveiled? Consumata!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home