All for God

Omnia pro Deo, or "All for God", reveals the thoughts and observations of one who is on a spiritual journey. This journey is of the Order of the Present Moment, in which the moments have unfolded throughout a life drawing closer to God. A spiritual journal includes thoughts and emotions, but also the physical interactions in the temporal world as this world intersects with the supernatural world of the soul.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Gazing Upon God

Yesterday I visited my dear Irish Da, my Spiritual Father.

He spoke to me about the need to gaze upon some attribute of God, of learning the prayer of simplicity, of being in the simple unitive way. I shouldn't have been surprised that the next section I read last night in Tanquerey was on this very topic.

Father used the word "gaze" but later said it is not unlike adore. I rather think that adoration is this: gazing with love.

He also emphasized forgiveness, and so this morning's Office of Readings did not surprise me, either, as St. Aelred's writing on forgiveness fell softly upon my heart like the silent snowflakes falling outside this lovely hermitage on Lake Immaculata.

Tanquerey suggests that one determine the night before, the subject of gazing upon God, of making a specific assignment for contemplating in affectionate simplicity throughout the next day, some attribute of God. He said (and this from St. Francis de Sales in advice to St. Jane Frances de Chantel) that if the Holy Spirit had some preferred topic for contemplation, for this prayer of simplicity, then He would let the soul know.

I struggled last night to quiet my mind in order to come up with what it is I should gaze upon today. Several thoughts came, and even during the night when I'd awaken, there would be yet other thoughts. God has so many Divine Attributes worthy of our gazing!

When I read St. Aelred's writing, though, in the Office of Reading, I found my day's assignment. In fact, it could well extend for many days or months or years, if God desires.

It is to gaze upon Jesus' loving patience. I am to enter into Jesus, to know that I am IN Him, and thus acquire His loving patience.

St. Aelred, abbot, wrote, "The perfection of brotherly love lies in the love of one's enemies. We can find no greater inspiration for this than grateful remembrance of the wonderful patience of Christ."

Also, "If he [a soul] wishes to resist the promptings of his sinful nature, he must enlarge the whole horizon of his love to contemplate the loving gentleness of the humanity of the Lord. Further, if he wishes to savor the joy of brotherly love with greater perfection and delight, he must extend even to his enemies the embrace of true love."

And then, "But if he wishes to prevent this fire of divine love from growing cold because of injuries received, let him keep the eyes of his soul always fixed on the serene patience of his beloved Lord and Savior."

Today I will practice keeping the eyes of my soul always fixed on the serene patience of Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home