All for God

Omnia pro Deo, or "All for God", reveals the thoughts and observations of one who is on a spiritual journey. This journey is of the Order of the Present Moment, in which the moments have unfolded throughout a life drawing closer to God. A spiritual journal includes thoughts and emotions, but also the physical interactions in the temporal world as this world intersects with the supernatural world of the soul.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Learning the Virtues: Humility

When the dear old Irish Spiritual Da read a list of my faults, on it was "humility". So I lack humility--still! He nodded the assent. I'd hoped for better progress in this virtue, after several years and much reading and much practice and much life.

The next section I read in A. Tanquerey's The Spiritual Life: A Treatise on Ascetical and Mystical Theology dealt with the moral supernatural virtues--prudence, fortitude, obedience, temperance. Also discussed is the virtue of religion, a virtue exalted but of which I had not been aware. Under the category of temperance, the masterly Bishop Tanquerey explains "humility." At the conclusion of this discourse, he tends to "meekness," but this will have to wait for another time.

Ah, humility. Without it, the soul does not progress in the other virtues--faith and hope only remain if all other virtues are lost, and these theological virtues by God's ordaining for the human soul's survival.

Next comes the out-of-print gem written by Canon Beaudenom, published in 1958 in Cork, Ireland, translated from the French: Formation in Humility. This is just what I need. Thirty days of meditations and teachings on humility will bring results, for in the preliminary study, the Canon recommends beseeching God for this virtue, among other explanations and admonitions to humility.

The need for humility, foremost and possible--humility, ahoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home